School of Engineering, $450m
In July 2016, the University of Melbourne, School of Engineering, commissioned a multidisciplinary design team to establish an accommodation strategy for MSE that will cater for the rapid growth between now and 2020 on the Parkville Campus and establish accommodation requirements for each of the three MSE locations post 2020, being:
Carlton Connect Innovation Precinct (CCI)
New Campus (details not yet disclosed)
The objectives of the Accommodation Strategy are to:
1. Map out the future research infrastructure capacity and capability across the three sites.
2. Utilise the MSE Aspirational Brief – Spaces for 2025 report as a guide.
3. Accommodate growth out to at least 2020, considering potential variations in delivery timeframes of CCI and the new MSE campus. The growth to be accommodated on the Parkville Campus where possible, with lease options to be considered given the scale of growth.
4. Phasing of accommodating growth and moving to new sites.
5. Determine requirements of new staff, such as research infrastructure needs, area requirements, equipment requirements, etc.
6. Determine area and types of space required for teaching and learning.
7. Develop an overarching, coherent sustainability plan for the three sites.
AREA3 has been providing project management services to support MSE in delivering this $450 million ‘one in 100 year’ infrastructure program including:
The delivery of a pilot program, trialling activity based accommodation, to be rolled out across Parkville, Carlton Connect and a New Campus.
The fitout of external leased office accommodation to be utilised as decanting accommodation, to allow the smooth transition of staff and students across Parkville, Carlton Connect and the New Campus.
A number of smaller projects including:
Demolition of the Radiation Building and Annexure
Refurbishment of the Dean of Engineering Office
Preparation of the functional brief for the New Campus
Construction of a Power Smart Grid Laboratory
Demand study for wet laboratory facilities in STEM-M disciplines
Preparation of the functional brief for the fitout of Carlton Connect including workplace and a Fablab with Makerspace.